Mapping Our Impact
In our day-to-day world of work, it’s easy to become so caught up in our own tasks that we lose sight of the fact that individually and collectively, we’re each playing a major role on a huge global stage. As FedEx team members, we’re part of a worldwide enterprise that not only has changed the way the world works but is helping to improve the world in many ways.
Today, more than ever, people want to know the greater impact our companies are having in our communities and the world in general. According to Simon Mainwaring, author of We First, a company’s social responsibility and sustainability efforts are more appealing than ever to the general public – including current and prospective customers.
Mainwaring’s research notes:
- 56% believe the interests of society and the interests of businesses should have equal weight in business decisions.
- 61% have sought a brand that supports a good cause even if it was not the cheapest brand.
- 64% would recommend a brand that supports a good cause, up from 52% last year.
- 67% would switch brands if a different brand of similar quality supported a good cause.
- 83% of consumers are willing to change their consumption habits if it can help make tomorrow’s world a better place to live.
What does this all mean?
It means that our global community is paying close attention to companies like FedEx in what we do for our communities and environment. This leads to the question, “How can people – including employees, customers, and stakeholders – know more about what we’re doing to help strengthen our communities and foster a more sustainable world for our future?”
This fall, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Business Civic Leadership Center selected FedEx, among other major Fortune 500 companies, to participate in its Business for Good Map project. It shows where and how businesses are improving the communities and lives of the people they serve globally every day. My work with the FedEx Global Citizenship team included mapping the major FedEx social responsibility projects across the globe in our strategic philanthropic focus areas: Safety, Education, Diversity, Disaster Response, and Environmental Sustainability.
After posting all of the initiatives, I’m pleased to report that FedEx is currently the leader on the Business for Good Map – among all participating companies. We’ve outpaced the others in the most projects listed on the map with 59 major social responsibility and sustainability projects underway around the world.
While working on this project, I learned about the significant investments FedEx is making in its people, communities and environment around the world.
Seeing our projects mapped out makes me proud to work for such a reputable company as FedEx. Moreover, I’m sure it will also make our team members, customers, and stakeholders proud to be associated with a company that cares so much about the world it serves. I invite you to take a look and see the good that FedEx delivers to our world today.
* Required fields
About This Blogger
Other Posts by Philip Blackett
- EarthSmart Growing Strong within Our Communities
- May 9, 2012 - 9:59 am
- Reach Out and PLANT…Somebody’s TREE for EarthSmart
- April 13, 2012 - 7:24 am
- FedEx Shares Sustainability Efforts with MBA Students at Net Impact
- November 15, 2011 - 9:11 am
- Mapping Our Impact
- November 9, 2011 - 9:39 am