Get in the Game!
To be eligible for the Grand Prizes, teams are required to participate by answering challenge questions for two consecutive days on Thursday, April 24 and Friday, April 25 2014. Grand Prize Winners will be announced at 11:15 AM CDT on Saturday, April 26.
How it Works
Challenge questions will be posted on the Challenges page at 7:00 AM on Thursday, April 24 and Friday, April 25. The Challenge response submission deadline is 8:00 PM CDT for Thursday and Friday.
- All Challenge responses must be submitted as a photo.
- Submit your response using either Twitter or Instagram.
(Make sure your Instagram posts and Tweets are set to public.)
- All responses must include three hashtags:
#FedEx #OMGrobots #Your FRC or FTC number; example: #FTC123
- All responses will be judged on accuracy of the answer, creativity and the level of team participation and spirit.
All responses will be aggregated via Twitter and Instagram on this website throughout the competition. Check back regularly to view or share responses.
All entries are subject to the FedEx Innovation Challenge Rules and Regulations.
Congratulations to the winning teams!
We loved all of the amazing entries that you guys submitted!
Congratulations to the winning teams!
We loved all of the amazing entries that you guys submitted!
FedEx® FIRST Robotics Competition Contest (“Contest”)
2014 OFFICIAL RULES
- ELIGIBILITY: NOT OPEN TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC. This Contest is open only to registered FIRST® Robotics Competition teams (each an “FRC Team”) or FIRST® Tech Challenge teams (each an “FTC Team”) (collectively, “Teams” or “entrants”) in attendance and competing in the FIRST® Robotics Championships at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis, Missouri between April 23, 2014 and April 26, 2014. The following individuals are not eligible to enter or win a prize: employees, contractors, directors, and officers of FedEx Corporation (“Sponsor”), FIRST, and each of their respective parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, and the web design, advertising, fulfillment, legal, judging, administrative, and promotions agencies involved in the administration, development, fulfillment, and execution of this Contest (collectively, “Contest Parties”), and the immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, and spouse or "step" of each) and those living in the same household of each such person (those persons whether related or not who live in the same residence for at least three months during the twelve-month period preceding the start date of the Contest).
- CONTEST PERIOD: Contest begins on April 24, 2014 at 7:00:00 a.m. CT and ends on April 25, 2014 at 8:00:00 p.m. CT (the “Contest Period”). The Web Site server is the official clock for this Contest.
- ASSIGNMENT: On Thursday, April 24, 2014 and Friday, April 25, 2014, five (5) activities, FedEx trivia questions, or various problems consisting of mostly engineering or mathematical questions (each a “Challenge”) will be given to all Teams, for completion by 8:00:00 p.m. CT each day. Team participation is encouraged, but not mandatory. Teams will be encouraged to interact with FedEx on-site ambassadors to figure out the answers to each Challenge, and upload a photo of their answers as described below.
- HOW TO ENTER: During the Contest Period, follow the instructions associated with each Challenge and submit your Team’s answer to receive one (1) entry into the Contest (an “Entry”) by either:
- Tweeting a photo taken by a Team member depicting the Team’s answer for each Challenge in a creative manner (“Photo”) with the three (3) hashtags, #FedEx, #OMGrobots, and #[Your Team Number; example #FTC123].
- Sharing your Team’s Photo on your Instagram (with the three (3) hashtags, #FedEx, #OMGrobots, and #[Your Team Number; example #FTC123].
Important Notice: If you Tweet, post Photos or receive updates from Twitter and/or Instagram via your wireless device, standard data charges will apply. Please consult your data rate plan regarding pricing for data.
Limit one (1) Entry per team per Challenge. Each Entry must be unique. If Entry includes a Photo previously submitted in connection with another Entry, Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify said Entry and remove any associated Photo from the Web Site. Automated means of entry are prohibited and any use of automated devices will cause disqualification. Team members may enter using only a Twitter or Instagram account registered in a Team member’s name. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of the entrant, the natural person associated with the email address provided with the Entry will be considered the entrant. Entrants may not enter with multiple email addresses or Instagram/Twitter accounts nor may entrants use any other device or artifice to enter as multiple entrants. Any entrant who attempts to enter with multiple email addresses, Instagram or Twitter accounts, or uses any device or artifice including repetitive, automatic, programmed or similar entry methods or agents to enter multiple times during the Contest Period will be disqualified and forfeits any and all prizes won, at Sponsor’s sole discretion. Proof of sending or submission will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor. Sponsor will not be responsible for lost, stolen or misplaced Entries.
- PHOTO REQUIREMENTS: Photos should depict the Team’s answer to the Challenge in a creative way. A Team may only submit a Photo that they have taken. Photos may only include people on your own Team (unless otherwise required by the Challenge), must not infringe any third-party’s rights; must be suitable for publication (i.e., may not be obscene or indecent); must not contain obscene or pornographic material; may not contain defamatory statements; may not invade privacy, publicity or other rights of any person, firm or entity; may not in any other way violate applicable laws and regulations; and may not contain any copyrighted works owned by third parties. Photos containing prohibited material or inappropriate content, or deemed to be in violation of these Official Rules or otherwise infringing, harmful, inappropriate, or defamatory, or generally not in keeping with the image of the Sponsor, as determined by the Sponsor in Sponsor’s sole discretion, may be disqualified and will not be eligible to participate in the Contest. Any entrant whose Photo contains likenesses of third parties must be able to provide legal releases for Sponsor’s use of such Photo, in a form satisfactory to the Sponsor, upon request, prior to award of prize.
By submitting a Photo, entrants grant to Sponsor a non-exclusive, irrevocable, fully paid, universal license to use, copy, sublicense, transmit, distribute, publicly perform, publish, edit, delete, display, create derivatives works of, and otherwise exploit each Team member’s name, likeness, voice, quotes, comments, biographical information, and/or the Team’s Photo, or any portion thereof, together with other materials, edited or altered as Sponsor sees fit, in any manner, in any media now known or hereafter devised, for advertising , trade, publicity, promotional and commercial purposes in connection with Sponsor’s brands or products, including, but not limited to, posts on Sponsor’s social media pages and/or any website, without limitation and without any further right of approval, permission or compensation. By submitting a Photo, entrants agree that Sponsor has no obligation to post any Photos, other photographs, videos, or Entries, or make use of the rights granted herein and may take down any Photo at any time and for any reason. BY SUBMITTING A PHOTO, ENTRANT ACKNOWLEDGES THAT HIS/HER PHOTO MAY BE POSTED ON SPONSOR’S WEB SITE AND SOCIAL MEDIA PLATFORMS IN SPONSOR’S SOLE DISCRETION. By participating, entrants agree to abide by and be bound by these Official Rules.
- CRITERIA AND SELECTION OF WINNERS: All eligible Entries will be judged by a qualified panel of judges (“Judges”) based on the following criteria (each a “Judging Criteria”):
- Whether the Challenge has been completed and answered correctly – 50%
- Creativity of the Photo Answer – 30%
- Level of Team participation and Team spirit – 20%
In the event of a tie, an additional “tie-breaking” qualified judge will determine the potential winner from among those tied eligible Teams based on the Judging Criteria set forth herein. Entrants agree that the Judges have the sole right to decide all matters and disputes arising from this Contest and that all decisions are final and binding in all respects. Entrants agree that the Judges and Sponsor have the sole right to decide all matters and disputes arising from this Contest and that all decisions are final and binding in all respects.
- PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUES (“ARVs”):
One (1) FRC Team Grand Prize: a $10,000 grant from FedEx, awarded through FIRST Robotics, which will be held by and administered by FIRST Robotics on behalf of the winning team and may only be used by the winning team for costs associated with future FIRST Robotics initiatives.
One (1) FTC Team Grand Prize: a $5,000 grant from FedEx awarded through FIRST Robotics, which will be held by and administered by FIRST Robotics on behalf of the winning team and may only be used by the winning team for costs associated with future FIRST Robotics initiatives.
- PRIZE RESTRICTIONS: Prizes are non-transferable and no cash redemption or prize substitution permitted, except at the sole discretion of the Sponsor. If a prize cannot be awarded for any reason, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to substitute a prize in whole with one of comparable or greater value. All costs and expenses associated with prize acceptance and use not specifically provided herein are the responsibility of the winning school.
- WINNER NOTIFICATION AND PRIZE CLAIM: Winners are subject to verification. The Grand Prize winners will be announced and symbolic checks will be delivered on Saturday, April 26, 2014 at the FIRST Robotics Championships in St. Louis, Missouri.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS: INTERNET CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. If the Contest is not capable of running as planned for any reason, including without limitation, due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who is responsible or who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, modify, or terminate the Contest. In the event of cancellation, Sponsor will award the prizes in a drawing from among all eligible, non-suspect entries received prior to cancellation. In the event that an entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost or destroyed, entrant’s sole remedy shall be another entry into the Contest.
- LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND RELEASE: No liability or responsibility is assumed by Sponsor or Contest Parties (collectively, “Releasees”) resulting from user's participation in, attempt to participate in, or download of any information in connection with participating in, the Contest. No responsibility or liability is assumed by the Sponsor or Contest Parties for technical problems or technical malfunction, including, without limitation, those arising in connection with any of the following occurrences that may affect the operation of the Contest: hardware or software errors; faulty computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless, or Internet connectivity, or other online communication problems; errors or limitations of any Internet service providers, servers, hosts, or providers; garbled, jumbled, or faulty data transmissions; failure of any email transmissions to be sent to or received; lost, late, delayed, or intercepted email transmissions; inaccessibility of the Web Site in whole or in part for any reason; traffic congestion on the Internet or Web Site; unauthorized human or non-human intervention in the operation of the Contest, including without limitation, unauthorized tampering, hacking, theft, virus, bug, worm; or destruction of any aspect of the Contest. Sponsor is not responsible for any typographical errors in the announcement of the prize or these Official Rules, or any inaccurate or incorrect data contained on promotional materials or on the Web Site. Use of Web Site is at user’s own risk. Releasees are not responsible for any personal injury or property damage or any other losses of any kind that may be sustained to user's or any other person's computer equipment resulting from participation in the Contest, use of the Web Site or the download of any information from the Web Site, or any other loss related to user’s participation in the Contest or receipt of any prize. As a condition of entering, entrants agree to release Sponsor and Contest from any and all liability, loss, or damage incurred with respect to entrant’s participation in the Contest and the awarding, receipt, possession, and/or use or misuse of any prize.
- BINDING ARBITRATION: Any controversy or claim arising out of or relating to the Contest shall be settled by binding arbitration in a location determined by the arbitrator as set forth herein (provided that such location is reasonably convenient for claimant), or at such other location as may be mutually agreed upon by the parties, in accordance with the procedural rules for commercial disputes set forth in the Comprehensive Arbitration Rules and Procedures of JAMS (“JAMS Rules and Procedures”) then prevailing, and judgment upon the award rendered by the arbitrator(s) may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof. The arbitrator shall be selected pursuant to the JAMS Rules and Procedures. The arbitrator shall apply Tennessee law consistent with the Federal Arbitration Act and applicable statutes of limitations, and shall honor claims of privilege recognized at law. In the event that the claimant is able to demonstrate that the costs of arbitration will be prohibitive as compared to the costs of litigation, the Sponsor will pay as much of the claimant’s filing and hearing fees in connection with the arbitration as the arbitrator deems necessary to prevent the arbitration from being cost-prohibitive. If any part of this arbitration provision is deemed to be invalid, unenforceable or illegal (other than that claims will not be arbitrated on a class or representative basis), or otherwise conflicts with the rules and procedures established by JAMS, then the balance of this arbitration provision shall remain in effect and shall be construed in accordance with its terms as if the invalid, unenforceable, illegal or conflicting provision were not contained herein. If, however, the portion that is deemed invalid, unenforceable or illegal is that claims will not be arbitrated on a class or representative basis, then the entirety of this arbitration provision shall be null and void, and neither claimant nor the Sponsor shall be entitled to arbitrate their dispute. Upon filing a demand for arbitration, all parties to such arbitration shall have the right of discovery, which discovery shall be completed within sixty days after the demand for arbitration is made, unless further extended by mutual agreement of the parties. THE ARBITRATION OF DISPUTES PURSUANT TO THIS PARAGRAPH SHALL BE IN THE ENTRANT’S INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY, AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. THE ARBITRATOR MAY NOT CONSOLIDATE OR JOIN THE CLAIMS OF OTHER PERSONS OR PARTIES WHO MAY BE SIMILARLY SITUATED. DO NOT ENTER THIS CONTEST IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO HAVE ANY CLAIM OR CONTROVERSY ARBITRATED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS CONTEST, EACH ENTRANT AGREES THAT TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW: (1) ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR CONNECTED WITH THE CONTEST, OR ANY PRIZE AWARDED, WILL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY THROUGH BINDING ARBITRATION AS SET FORTH ABOVE, WITHOUT RESORT TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION; (2) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS WILL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL THIRD-PARTY, OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED (IF ANY), BUT IN NO EVENT WILL ATTORNEYS' FEES BE AWARDED OR RECOVERABLE; (3) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY ENTRANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN ANY AWARD FOR, AND ENTRANT HEREBY KNOWINGLY AND EXPRESSLY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO SEEK, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, LOST PROFITS AND/OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN ACTUAL OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES), AND/OR ANY RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR OTHERWISE INCREASED; AND (4) ENTRANT'S REMEDIES ARE LIMITED TO A CLAIM FOR MONEY DAMAGES (IF ANY) AND ENTRANT IRREVOCABLY WAIVES ANY RIGHT TO SEEK INJUNCTIVE OR EQUITABLE RELIEF. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO EVERY ENTRANT.
- PUBLICITY: Except where prohibited by law, by accepting a prize, winners (or winners’ parent/legal guardian, if winner is a minor) grant permission for Sponsor and those acting under its authority to use their name, and address (city and state),photograph, voice and/or likeness, for advertising and/or publicity purposes, in any and all media (including posting on Web Site) now known or hereinafter invented without territorial or time limitations and without further notice to and without additional compensation. If you are selected as a winner, your information may also be included in a publicly-available winner’s list.
- GOVERNING LAW & JURISDICTION: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, your rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of State of Tennessee, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules thereof, and any matters or proceedings which are not subject to arbitration as set forth in Section 12 of these Official Rules. By entering, you consent to the jurisdiction and venue of the federal, state, and local courts located in Shelby County, Tennessee for the resolution of all disputes, and agree that any and all disputes shall be resolved exclusively in those courts. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision. If any provision of these Official Rules is held to be invalid or unenforceable, such provision shall be struck, and the remaining provisions shall be enforced.
- WINNERS LIST: The list of winning teams will be posted online on www.blog.fedex.com/innovationchallenge after the Contest Period.
- SPONSOR: FedEx Corporate Services, Inc., 942 S Shady Grove Rd, Memphis, TN 38119.