FedEx Contractor Rescues Police Officer Under Attack
Mike Elgas, a driver for Wkforce, Inc, Service Provider to FedEx Ground, risked his own life to save the life of a police officer who was being assaulted.
It all started as an ordinary day as Mike stopped for breakfast on his way to work in Las Vegas, NV. While eating he noticed a belligerent customer overpower a police officer, knock him to the ground, and begin punching and yelling that he was going to kill him.
When Mike saw the assailant try to dislodge the officer’s gun, he took action, subduing the assailant from behind and pulling him off the officer who was then able to handcuff and arrest his attacker.
Mike admits that he was scared but that he “did what he had to do.” He told one reporter, “I don’t feel like a hero, but I feel good inside that I did something good.” Mike has since been recognized for his heroism several times, most recently by Las Vegas’ Clark County Commissioner Steve Sisolak who presented Mike with a medal and proclaimed him a Good Samaritan.
For his display of courage and behavior that goes above and beyond normal community responsibility, Mike has been nominated for the FedEx Humanitarian Award. Thank you, Mike!
More about this story:
* Required fields
About This Blogger
Other Posts by FedEx Social Media Team
- #DeliveringThanks: Recognizing Those Who Embody the Purple Promise
- November 25, 2014 - 10:20 am
- Jose Razo Brings Flight-Safety Mentality to Driving
- September 3, 2014 - 9:58 am
- Ted Carlson Brings Marathon Mentality to Driving Freight
- August 22, 2014 - 10:32 am
- Meet one of our champion drivers, Christy Tolbert
- August 17, 2014 - 11:31 am